C.1850 or earlier. 10" total length, closed. Six pieces comprising the broad rolled shackle constructed to minimize injury to the captive, two closing links, and three connecting links to the last of which the master chain for the slave train was passed. That link secured with a copper cable double twisted, probably a field repair in Africa. These were used in the slave trade from the market in West Africa, onboard slave ships and through the sale process in North and South America. Excellent with stable brown surface rusting.