Mid-19th century. 13” length, carved of black wood in three ranks. The upper and lower segments of rectangular section with incised panels of hound’s tooth bands inlaid with lime. The middle of circular section with a central swell. The top finished in bold knife or machete strokes with a splinter into the decoration. It would have originally finished in a pagan idol or fetish figure and obviously has been brutally “Christianized” upon subjugation by the British in 1874. It is well worn and continued in use after that alteration. These were used with small slit drums for festive and religious rituals. Its obvious age clearly places its primary use back into the period of voracious cannibalism.