Revolutionary War to Napoleonic Period. 19” tapered blade of broad cruciform section, struck with an ordnance mark of a circle divided into six by three diameters. Tubular socket with angled slot and locking ring flanked by ridges. Pitted overall revealing its wrought iron construction. The locking ring was adopted by the French in 1777 (Neumann 31.B & 32.B) and with others including the British following. This example is probably Continental (German) dating to the Napoleonic Wars and perhaps the Revolution.