Dating C.1750, this pistol is styled after the European (specifically Italian) model which at the time mounted barrels of 14”-15” length. Improvements in gunpowder quality allowed for somewhat shorter barrels (about 12”) and by about 1800, most were produced with or reduced to that length. This earlier example retains its long elegant form. The 14 1/4” barrel with sighting top flat is chiseled in high relief foliage at the forte. The lock with flat plate and cock. The finely carved walnut stock retains its fine silver escutcheon to the wrist. Exceptional.