First half of the 19th century. Purchased in Abbeville South Carolina about 1955. 14 3/4" total length extended. Seven pieces comprising the broad rolled shackle constructed to minimize injury to the captive, two closing links, and three connecting links to the large end link through which the master chain for the slave train was passed. Excellent with stable brown surface rusting. Shackles of this type were used in Africa by slavers, worn through the trans-Atlantic voyage and the slave markets of which Charleston was the largest.