19” length, natural cow horn, smoothed but not shaved as with powder horns. The bell end with two holes for a suspension corn which would have been simply wrapped around the other end. Rounded natural embouchure. Decorated throughout with typical Scottish compass work as is specific to the 1690-1700 period. The area above the embouchure shows traces of an inscription and bird (?) removed in its working life. Horns such as this were used for signaling on the battlefield as well as by lookouts and scouts in the endless clan battles of the period. The erased inscription may indicate its capture and reuse. Fine rich age patina. Only example we have seen outside a museum.