Probably War of 1812 period but may well date to the 18th century. 14" length, natural cow horn. Original wood stopper. Heavy wood base, 1 1/4" outside the horn, probably intended to assure flotation if necessary. The added weight was of no concern as the horn was not worn or carried. The body, as well, not shaved down to reduce the weight as with rifle horns. The body branded with MCV, and above branded with C.C.G. The first, evidently identifying the ship which it served and probably traceable with evolving informational technology. The C.C.G. added after 1867 when the ship was assigned to the Coast Guard. The Canadian Navy guarded the coast until the formation of the Coast Guard in 1867. The character of the horn throughout speaks of shipboard equipment, worn and encrusted. Only such example we know of. Rare, historic and worthy of a public collection.