This war mace dates to a period of repeated warfare in Italy. City-state wars of the Gothic period continued while France repeatedly invaded until its withdrawal in 1559, when the Spanish Habsburgs seized control of northern Italy. In form, it derived directly from the High Gothic mace retaining the proportions and elegant lines of that form. Its six flanges are mounted with transverse reinforcements to the tips, providing superior attack surfaces with minimal added weight, a feature which continued in near universal use through the end of the century. Its hollow shaft is slightly tapered and pierced for a wrist thong. The grip is decorated with spiral line work.
Length: 24 1/2"