The fortress, Aalholm Slot, was built about 1200 AD as a coastal defense to Swedens southern shore on Lollands only natural harbor. The town of Nysted grew to support it and a neighboring Franciscan cloister and flourished under its protection. With the evolution of the Danish monarchy, it became a Royal Castle under Christian II. This example is from the same group as #CG.145 above and displays the same characteristics of form and construction. It varies in that it has a narrow raised white band flanking the crescent and the stippled thickened edge is finished in the white as well. Those features are probably indicative of its use by an officer.
Provenance: Aalholm Slot, the Danish Royal Castle at Nysted, Denmark