This heavy helmet was used in the Thirty Years War (1617-47) and again in the English Civil Wars. It is from a group particularly associated with Littlecote House, Wiltshire, England, where other examples were preserved with its remarkably complete Civil War armory, now acquired by the Royal Armories. As with much of the armor used in the English Civil Wars, it was made on the continent and served first in the Thirty Years War. Sappers were specialized infantry who, in addition to fighting alongside their comrades, were adept at excavating sappes, trenches which protected the troops, while closing the distance to the enemy. Their armor was heavier than that of ordinary troops, to provide additional protection against the cannon fire which they faced.